Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Professionalism

"I expect professionalism."

It's a phrase I often hear one of my science lecturers say. Usually it is because of the boys playing up up the back of the lecture theatre. It's fair enough he saying it, as it often seems that these people cant leave their year 9 musings behind them.

The lecturer then goes into a five minute schpeel about how we're teachers, and we're educating tomorrows adults. So passionate about this issue, he even brought in some research that teachers are in the top ten of most trusted 'professionals'.

... Would you trust me?

But then, according to the Adelaide Advertiser, teaching wasn't even on the 'top ten' list. Doctors being the most trusted.

Today I would like to talk to you about my experience at the doctors yesterday.

I couldnt even watch my favorite show, All Saints, at 3pm, as I sat there trembling at the thought of getting a typhoid injection. The thought of the possibility it not being the right one, that it hadn't spent enough time in the fridge, that I would react. All of these crazy possibilities.

Mez came and got me, and practically dragged me out of the house kicking and screaming.

We sat in the waiting room for a good half hour, Mez asking me all about my trip as she tried to ease my mind about the injection and the abusive type people who just entered the waiting room.

Finally when it was my turn, the doctor came and got me, we sat in his office, he asked questions, and then he led us to a room where the nurse was waiting for me. This is ultimately where I paniked.

The nurse then accused me of acting like a 2 year old. After the injection I felt queezy, lied on the bed and cried. I didnt know what was going on but I felt incredibly strange and scared! The nurse just left, the doctor came in, and put a peice of paper on my stomach, and walked away.

I felt so very uncared for (apart from Mez being there, asking me more random questions to ease my mind). Honestly, the second word of this clinic was 'care', but seriously it didn't feel like it. Oh how I regretted doing this! I knew I should have just waited to see Dr. Chan. He'd make sure I'm fine! He may be that little bit nuts, but he's a good nut.

After a few hours, I realised that although I acted like a complete child being scared of the needle, that nurse really shouldn't have said that. Like, I can get over it, but what about the people who have anxiety conditions? Isn't that a little... (dare I say it) unprofessional?

I almost called them to make a 'complaint'. Although Jesus did command us to turn the other cheek, He also told us we should tell people when they are in the wrong (learnt that one the hard way from Lara).

So today, I have one arm and one foot (after tearing a tissue). I can't drive Roy (without almost having an accident) which sucks, because I need to rely on people to drive me places.

So there's the story of my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

both professionals are underfunded and under pressure to take as many people as they can in a day, especially primary health care clinic, they dont have the time or resources to deal well with anybody, last time i was their i waited for one hour past my appointment time and got diagnosed within 2 minutes!, if we want better service and treatment from doctors we need to begin to look beyond bendigo and into other areas such as Heathcote, Seymour and possibly Melbourne. Not only are the doctors at the Primary Health Care clinic under strain, so is the emergency department which sees the run off from the clinics when people cant get in to the doctor but believe their condition validates waiting all day in the ED. On the topic of All Saints.........nothing I can say about that show is positive, so I say nothing, enjoy your trip.

some background noise?