Thursday, November 01, 2007

choice

Choices. I don't like choices.

I grew up in a town where the choice "McDonalds or KFC" didn't exist. I lived in a town where the you take the one and only choice or you go without. My lunch was usually planned out for me. Even when choosing whether I go to Murrayville (vic.) or Lameroo (SA) for high school, the decision was already made.

In my last three years at Bendigo, one of the hardest thing was adapting to having a choice. I had a choice of Coles, Safeway or IGA. I could buy home brand or black and gold. I had options of going to places like Ballarat and Melbourne. I had a choice of AOG, Victory, the Baptist, Short Street Church of Christ and more (3 years on I'm still struggling with this choice!). All this choice I had not previously encountered back in Pinnaroo, the one supermarket, three churched hole in South Australia!

But one thing I am thankful for is that I already had made a choice that in Bendigo, it didn't matter what I was studying, it be Arts or Education, I just wanted to do Indonesian. Even though it would have been nice to bludge through Arts, I am somewhat glad that I am in Education, as it is a clear pathway of what I am likely to be doing at the end of next year.

In the last three years, my path has been all set out for me. I sit through the core units, I progress towards an Indonesian major. Re-enrolling at the end of each year was a breeze!

But it is 2007, and I am coming to the end of my third year. Re-enrolling isn't so easy, because I have to make choices. I now have my Indonesian major. One would think that 8 units of Indonesian, plus the LOTE methodology I have to undertake next year would be enough.

But my choices don't look feasable. Info Tech doesn't look as good as it was going to. Art is about ceramics. Everything else is looking pretty.. blah.

So guess what I've gone and done. I've gone and enrolled myself in the Indonesian Reading Course. Like I said, isn't a major enough? Basically, I'm out of options. Nita was incredibly pleased (BTW, Steff, Nita is insistant that you join us ;) ), and showed me the book we will be studying. It is the size of the New Testament and is all in Indonesian.

But then I come to my next dilemma...

Because my methodology is only worth 10 credit points a semester, this leaves me 10 credit points down to actually get my degree. That means I need to pick up just one more subject somewhere.

And then I got an email about a course that's running over summer. It's basically a unit on ICT and Interactive Whiteboard stuff. I might do it during semester if I don't do it over summer.

So I am faced with this choice. Do I really want to do Indonesian next year? Do I do ICT over summer or bulk it over the second semester? Or do I ditch Indo and go my own way (as apposed to going with what my friends are doing and having that accountability/company) doing PE, special abilities, art, catholic ed, calculus or something crazy!

Choices. Bah! Anyone have some advice for me?

Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. (Psalm 37:4-6)

No comments:

some background noise?