Monday, April 30, 2007

keguruan

It's funny, God's ways are not our ways. It's funny that its when I'm not longing or expecting an experience of God, it happens. Perhaps that reflects my motives in what I expect or want out of my relationship with God.

It's like this funny thing that happened to me today.

I didn't have a good night last night. I foolishly stayed up until 12:20, meaning today has been a very rough day. I hit the snooze button three times, and ended up driving to uni (bad!). I very lethargically made it up to my 9am Indonesian class. Got into the elevator and complained to God that I wanted to go home, and I felt like God was reminding me of Colossians 3:23.

"Do what I've called you to do."

So in my expectance, an innocent conversation in Indonesian springs up about the life of the Balinese, which eventually goes into the concept of their religion: Hinduism. The unexpected was where it would lead.

We were talking about the concept of the trimurti, which is kind of like a trinity. There are three Gods: Siwa (destroyer), Wisnu (protector), and Brahmana (creator). Then we got on to the Christian concept of the trinity - father, son and holy spirit, comparing and contrasting.

Now this conversation took up a majority of the lesson, and I could feel this unexplainable feeling inside of me, like I never wanted this conversation to end. I didn't know this for sure, but now I do, after two and a half years: it turns out that my Indonesian lecturer (who is from Yogyakarta in Indonesia) is indeed a christian, and has been before she came to Australia. Immediately I grabbed my dictionary, looked up some vocab and asked her about persecution in Indonesia. Unfortunately, it is just as real as I'd heard. Riots between them and muslims, burning of churches. She said it was quite scary.

Some joked that perhaps she was trying to convert us. She spoke so openly and freely. She told us about how she thought that God is such a beautiful concept. She wrote in big letters "KASIH" which means love, saying that it is the most important thing, and that God is love. The whole time I just wanted to give her a hug. I wanted to tell her the real reason I was in, and have been in her Indonesian class for two and a half years now. I wanted to tell her what I was all about! I want to invite her out for a coffee and tell her everything!

After class I couldn't help myself. I wanted to make myself known. I asked her where she went to church. She made must have made a connection out of my interest in the topic and asked me the same.

But yeah, here's hoping I can talk to her again!

some background noise?