Tuesday, May 01, 2007

nakal

This week in health we have been looking at self image and sexuality. When our lecturer walked into our tute this morning to tell us we were going to be watching a dvd, I expected that it would be a cheesy 80s clip about sex ed. How wrong I was. It was something much much worse - a documentry that had been on sbs a few weeks ago about Bratz, Bras and Tweens.

I have never liked the idea of Bratz, I don't think they're merely the next generation barbie doll. Their influence on young girls concerns me a lot.
They target a very vulnerable group of younger children. I walked into k-mart one day to see a Bratz spin the bottle game - what the?

But the documentary I saw today clarified my view on Bratz. It clarified to me that it is robbing children of their innocence. Children of a young age shouldn't have to worry about their image. Promotion of such high values of fashion, weight, peer pressure and cruelty should not be around. It breaks my heart to see what such little children are getting into at such a young age. Can kids really be kids with all of this pressure?

Again, I think it makes me want to make a difference all the more, for kids to know that they are loved and accepted by God!

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Christop said...

Not necessarily. Things don't always get worse. Soemtimes they get so bad that people realise what's going on and react against it. (The trick is not going to far in the opposite direction.)

some background noise?