Saturday, August 05, 2006

Priorities

Today was a really good day.

The not so good bit was being woken up at 4:15.... I was having a dream about a phone ringing. Then my answering machine woke me up! I dosed off to sleep when 2 minutes later my phone was ringing again. I went to answer it after my machine cut in, and there was nobody there, it was just dead. It must have been an annoying overseas tellymarketer. Im sure if anyone desperately needed to get hold of me at that time they would have called my mobile.

Anyway, after much decision making, Mish came up here this morning. I picked him up from the train station in my pyjamas and slippers, and then took a detour up to the One Tree Hill lookout near uni.

Something I mentioned to Mish today is that not many churches say the Lords prayer any more. I wonder why it is, and why it has been phased out.


Matthew 6:9-13 (NKJV)
9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.[c]

Anyway, onto the subject of Short Street. Its a nice place. Tonight I listened to Karen speak about drugs and alcohol.

So, as always here is her three points:

1. Know your limitations BEFORE you get there. 1 John 4:4 says, "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."
2. Make choices to honour God. 1 corinthians 6:19-20 says "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
3. Run! When things get bad, run, get outta there! Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

Karen made me think about my own priorities when it comes to drinking tonight. For me, smoking/drugs is not an issue. Alcohol really isnt either. When I was in high school, I took a huge stand against it, and now Im glad. Living on res, seeing the effects, I never want to fall that far. I dont mind having a small drink now and then, but I think that I really need to assess why it is I really do this.

No comments:

some background noise?