Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sulawesi now??

On the 24th of April, I blogged about a possible job opportunity in Bandung, Indonesia. I am blogging today to tell you... I haven't heard back from the lady, and it has been over a month.

But that's ok, because a very exciting opportunity came up today.

A guy who used to be an Indonesian lecturer at uni (before I started, he now works with ressie services, and also happens to be a christian) turned up at our last Indonesian class for the semester today. He began to talk about a trip to Sulawesi, Indonesia the uni is running at the end of the year. After the bali bombings, and the various dramas following, trips to Indonesia were stopped by schools and universities. Until now, and I have the chance to be involved. The more he talked about it the more and more I wanted to go!

Some info

  • 27 days from November 27 to December 23
  • Spend time in the capital of Sulawesi: Kendari (pop about 200,000)
  • Stay with lecturers or other families
  • Attend Indonesian language and cultural classes
  • Go on excursions and activities with Indonesian 'buddy'.
  • Visit an Indonesian villiage 2 hours from the capital, called Lambuya.
  • Stay with local villagers (sure.. 5 star accomodation!)
  • Teach about Australian culture and english language at primary and secondary schools
  • Helping villagers in rice fields (wahahahah! I love rice!)
  • Identifying future community development possibilities
  • Visiting a national park
  • Go on a boat to a tropical island paradise
  • snorkelling
  • swimming
  • a hotel!
  • relaxing!
Agh! I so want to go. The experience would be rewarding, something I can put on my CV, an unforgettable experience!

There are barriers though, finances being one. But if God wants this, He will provide. Maybe I'll sell my car, or be a little more realistic and get a job.

Some people may get a little judgemental that I am not going with a christian organisation, as a 'missionary'. But I treat my whole life as a mission. The people I meet, the places I go. Even though 'officially' I am not on a 'mission', really, every day of my life, is a mission!

1 comment:

Meika said...

wow sam! that sounds so exciting!

i really hope you can go. :D

some background noise?