Saturday, July 14, 2007

extinct, slow, birds

Did you know that Dodo means "sleeping" in french? That sure explains a lot.

At the beginning of the year I bought a deal off dodo. 3 months for $45 a month. This gives us unlimited downloads at 256kbps. This seemed good, but really it is not.

I worked out last week that between Claire and I, we rarely go over 5gb a month. I even worked out that a plan better suited for us with dodo, which would give us 10gb for $30. So I called (as it has been over 3 months) and asked to downgrade, and they told me it would cost a $60 downgrading fee. I don't exactly have money like that to throw around right now, so I figured I'd stay with them another 4 months if it was going to cost me that. Gr.

But my internet is useless. I am continously resetting the router. And then it wont let me sign into anything but skype, and then when I open firefox it only lets me into dodo's pages. This happens for about 5 days (somehow it eventually works). It seems to be around the time they take money out of my bank account (and there is heaps there!!) It also messes around with security certificates and wont let me into blogger. It lets me see my blog and gush, and that's about it.

Yes, I have called Dodo, and they don't seem to want to do anything about it. I can't actually understand them.

I think it's time to look for a new ISP. Can anyone reccomend me any? I'm looking for about 7ish Gb a month around the $30 mark. I found a good deal with Adam internet, but I'm pretty sure they only service South Australia. I am seriously ready to just go back to dial up, because it was actually more reliable.

And to top it off my antivirus software says I have a trojan. The weird thing about these trojans were they were setup files for google desktop. But look at this bizarre article, apparently it's intentional.

2 comments:

Stephanie Jewell said...

argh! my family was with dodo for a short while, and hated every secnd of it!

i can tell you that anyone with a cheap television add like that isnt going to have offices in australia or be helpfull at all -_-

oh and after youve changed your provider (good luck doing that) they will still keep you on their database and call you from india at all awful hours of the night! so when you do get out of dodo, make sure you specify you want your details completely removed, otherwise expect a 5am wake up call!

Stephanie Jewell said...

and as a film student that also studies animation, their television ad irritates me up to the eye balls!

its not that difficult to do it right which would make the ad look better... it just looks cheap and nasty DX

some background noise?