Wednesday, June 20, 2007

don't turn off the lights!

When I was a little kid, before I had even started school, I was innocently watching one of my favorite movies on a betacord video machine (oldschool, before VHS and DVD). Anyway, suddenly, the switch went up, and made a large BANG, all of the lights throughout the house went off.

Terrafied, I ran into the office where Mum and Dad were. Here began a long fear of black outs. I was still scared of them when I was a teenager. Living in Pinnaroo, where the power went off every time the wind blew it seemed, where as soon as you heard there was a storm coming you would get the candles and torches out ready, and up to this day, the black outs are for extended amounts of time, usually about 20 hours.

But I left the world of frequent black outs to the state of abundance: Victoria. In my time here I have only experienced on average, 1 black out a year. Usually it is not too scary, as I lived on a residence with at least 7 other people. Then last night, came the 2007 black out. This time I don't live on campus. I handled it quite well, although, in the back of my mind I remembered how much black outs would scare me. The strange thing about this blackout is that although we had no power, all the suburbs around us did.

After 2 games of uno, we decided to go out to Lansell, where they had power.

It made me think, though, how much we rely on electricity, especially considering it is so cold, and our heating relies on electricity. I wonder where I truly would be without it?

It is incredibly hard to post a blog like this when you at the same time are watching this.

No comments:

some background noise?